We call our bakery program, “Flour to Empower” …and it is really something special!
Most days, if you walk into the Clubhouse, it smells fabulous. That’s because in our spacious, clean commercial kitchen, abiding by all the regulations set down by the Illinois Department of Health, we have specially trained baking supervisors who guide any members who choose to participate through the simple, logical, precise steps of creating delicious baked goods.
Our unique “Flour to Empower” program has proven that it is one of the very best ways for survivors to get hands-on, practical healing in a safe, controlled environment. The smiles on their faces after a successful bake are even better than the flavors of our popular assortment of delicacies.
We use the baked goods our members create to:
- Thank the kind-hearted donors who participate in our Flour to Empower Gift subscription
- Sell to customers directly through our bakery storefront in Elmhurst, Illinois
- To celebrate birthdays and special achievements at our Clubhouse
- To ship nationwide for those who support our mission
- Finance fun activities at the Clubhouse
- Share with our neighbors
By physically working with the flour, sugar, milk and eggs, members get a visceral chance to reconnect to their senses of sight, touch, smell, sound and eventually…after a little while at 350 degrees…their sense of taste.
These are just a few of the many benefits members get with the Flour to Empower program. And best of all? Working together in the kitchen is a lot of fun!
- Practice math and memory skills
- Work with others in harmony
- Improve the ability for social interaction
- Use language to communicate ideas, thoughts and feelings
- Create a product that contributes to the greater good (click here for details)
- Re-learn basic business skills, such as packaging and shipping our delicious products
- Develop a sense of teamwork and gain a tangible sense of accomplishment